Looking for COVID-19 Resources? Bridge is here to help!
Back to Blog

I Want to Hire Someone Who Is Not Authorized to Work in the United States. What Do I Do?

Bridge Team Member

Federal law protects all potential employees from employment discrimination based upon citizenship, immigration status, or national origin. (8 U.S.C. § 1324).

In order to avoid later claims of illegal discrimination, employment eligibility verification should be conducted after an offer to hire has been made. So make the offer of employment first, and then verification of authorization to work can be completed.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) requires employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all employees by completing the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) Form, reviewing acceptable original documents showing the employee's identity and employment authorization, and keeping proper records. There are no exceptions for temporary or part-time employees, only independent contractors are exempt.

How do I know what documents to accept?

Fortunately, the employer is only required to provide the I-9 Form to the new employee. A list of the acceptable documents, as well as instructions for both the employee and employer, can be found attached to the I-9 Form. Employers are off the hook for verification of the documents provided by the employee. A good faith defense is afforded as long as the documents appeared reasonably genuine, related to the employee, and the I-9 was fully and properly completed by the employer.

What if it turns out my new employee is not authorized to work in the US?

The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) prohibits an employer from knowingly hiring any individuals who are not authorized to work in the United States. As stated above, there is a good faith protection, but there are also established strict penalties for violations of the INA. For first time offenders, the fines can range from $250 to $3,200 per offense, per illegal employee.

Employers who want to hire an individual not authorized to work in the US, or a current foreign student, must meet specific conditions to obtain visas for their employees, which vary in length and purpose, depending on the job for which the employee or student is being considered. To obtain a visa, an employer must go through the process of sponsorship. For more information on sponsoring foreign employees, see 5 Facts HR Needs to Know About Sponsoring an H1-B Employee

There are many options for obtaining employees for your new business. Try the Bridge US Software to simplify the process of hiring foreign talent.


More from the Blog

Proclamation Expanded to Include Work Visas Until End of Year

On June 22nd, President Trump announced an expansion of his Executive Order on immigration from April 22nd that extends the suspension of green cards to new immigrants abroad, and will also halt the entry of temporary work visas in the H-1B, H-4, H-2B, L-1, L-2 and J categories through the end of the year.

Read Story

Discover More About Our New Forecasting Tools for Immigration Spending

Read FAQs on our new Forecasting tools recently launched on the Bridge platform that will transform your immigration spending and provide cost transparency to your program.

Read Story

COVID-19 Update: I-9 and Border Closure Extensions

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced another 30-day extension of the flexibilities in rules related to Form I-9 compliance that was granted earlier this year. On June 16th, Canada, the U.S., and Mexico agreed to extend their border closures through July 21st.

Read Story