Looking for COVID-19 Resources? Bridge is here to help!
Back to Blog

How to Apply For a Green Card Without Leaving the US

Romish Badani

Are you or a family member currently in the U.S. without legal immigration status but looking to get a green card to permanently reside in the country? If so, you aren't alone. Many people are in the same situation and wondering how they can get a green card without returning to their home country. There are two potential paths available to you:

1. Apply Through "Adjustment of Status"

An immigration pathway called Adjustment of Status allows "immediate relatives" of U.S. citizens to get a green card without leaving the country if they initially entered the country legally. You are eligible even if you are now in the country "illegally" (e.g. overstayed a visa) or have worked without authorization. Immediate relatives eligible for this route include:

- Spouses of U.S. citizens

- Parents of U.S. citizens, if the child sponsoring the parent is over 21 years old

- Children of U.S. citizens, if the child is under 21 years old

You would still need to be eligible for and successfully apply for a family visa.

2. Apply Through the 245(i) Rule

What if you aren't eligible for Adjustment of Status because you don't fall into one of the three "immediate relative" categories or because you did not enter the country legally? There still may be another option available to you, called Section 245(i). This rule allows certain people to adjust their status if they filed a visa application or labor certification on or before April 30, 2001. Even if you have filed a more recent immigration petition, as long as you filed an application by that date you would be eligible for 245(i) and not have to leave the country to obtain a green card. If you filed the application between January 15, 1998 and April 30, 2001 you will need to prove that you were physically present in the country on December 21, 2000.

We certainly hope that you are eligible for one of these two immigration paths if you are currently in the country without lawful immigration status and have family members who can sponsor you. If not, you may need to attend a consulate interview overseas before your application is approved. Other options may be available, but you should first consult an experienced immigration attorney to determine your options.

If you are an employer hoping to sponsor international employees for their EB Green Card, consider these Do's and Dont's and review this guide to get an overview of what is expected.

Content in this publication is not intended as legal advice, nor should it be relied on as such. For additional information on the issues discussed, consult a Bridge-affiliated partner attorney or another qualified legal professional.


More from the Blog

Deliver self-service immigration by leveraging technology and a playbook

If you've standardized and documented some basic sponsorship processes and built a portal for international employee resources, you're likely ahead of many peers. However, it's critical to build out contingency plans to account for employee vacation, potential delays in start dates, etc. to be prepared for worst-case scenarios. It might also be worth collaborating with your immigration vendor to find opportunities where immigration can be leveraged as a talent attractor or retention tool across the organization.

Read Story

Immigration as a self-service system of accessibility and controls

As the nature of work adopts to be more dynamic and flexible, companies that are prepared to enable employees to work in such ways will outperform those that don't. Taking the time to invest in creating standardized processes can save a tremendous amount of resources and reduce risk. Going one step further to allow your employees access to visualize potential sponsorship pathways can help foster a culture of trust and accountability.

Read Story

Improving accessibility to immigration information for employees and employers

Chaotic employee experiences are often hard to diagnose until the team has lost a valuable resource. With technical talent, that impact can be quite costly. Consider some of these lagging indicators to gain perspective on where your team might have opportunities to create a stronger proactive approach to immigration and technical talent retention.

Read Story